Costa Rica Nature Videos

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Pharmacies in Costa Rica..U.S. needs to take heed.....

Most days here in La Fortuna, Costa Rica, people are awaiting for the Pharmacy to open at 8:00 a.m.
Most of them are the local Ticos, but also tourists that need various medications.  You know the kind I am referring to. I myself  have had the experience of using the pharmacy for a headache and here are some of the things I learned that I would like to pass on.
I only wanted to buy 1 pill (una pastilla).  The person attending to me was not a clerk..She was a doctor (doctora).  She asked me in Spanish if the headache was a migraine and I told her no.
She handed me 1 pastilla and a cup of water and watched me take the medicine.  I liked the fact one can buy 1 pill and you have a doctor on duty if you need something with a little more strength..  She watch me take the pill to make sure that I wasn't going to sell it because it was a little heavier than OTC.

Many drugs (like birth control pills, high cholesterol medication, migraine medicine, etc.) are available in Costa Rica without a prescription, and pharmacists can easily and accurately diagnose and treat many common problems.  If the doctor deems your case to be an emergency or further care, you will be directed to the nearest hospital. 
So you would change the motto "Run to the Doctor" to "Run to the Pharmacy and get things taken care of in 1 visit"... The U.S needs to take a look at what things are better for the people, instead of what lines the pockets of the already wealthy millionaires.

located in downtown La Fortuna before  opening for the day
 Visit Costa Rica with us...http://www.costaricainnature.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment